When we sit around a campfire whether it be with family, friends, or colleagues, it is an opportunity to sit down, stare at the stars and the fire, and converse with each other. Of course, in today’s society there will always be those searching for cell phone signal, but hopefully you are far enough away from any cell tower to obtain service. The conversations we have could range in a variety of topics. Unlike religious holidays, where discussing things like politics is considered rude and improper, the conversations at the campfire tend to have free range with any topic. When camping, most people find themselves living in a completely natural state. The sense of adventure and general lack of access to resources we all take for granted when camping provides a feeling of freedom unknown to many. It serves as a rare opportunity for man to “howl at the moon.” Camping must encapsulate all elements of the human spirit.
Yet, there are still those that bring their adaptation of political correctness with them to the campsite. In most social situations, for those who are self-aware, it is easy to see the overall lack of ability among people to converse about real, serious topics. These topics could range from personal problems, relationship problems, or politics and religion. For whatever reason, some people cannot deal with these uncomfortable types of discussions. Political correctness has found its way into every social setting, no matter the location.
The main reasons for this new social environment? Americans lack of ability to accept criticism, and the lack of ability to remain civil. It is truly that simple. One could argue about the state of America’s political parties forever. Undeniably, these two abilities keep the discussion of politics moving forwards, instead of rearing backward towards our inherent animalistic nature. This is why humanity will never be able to rid itself of civil wars and wars.
Having said that, these types of discussions, at their heart, have a goal of refining man’s character and social situation. The overall goal is to enjoy life and love each other in the best ways possible. So, campfire discussions should range from serious topics, to ridiculous topics, to vulgar topics, to hilarious topics. The goal of camping for most is to enjoy living in a completely natural state. Howling at the moon, in every way, is man’s best attempt at living free again. For a true campfire experience, there must be good food and great discussions, with people you care about most.
Here is a short list of The Last Historian’s great campfire discussion ideas:
- The state of nature and beautiful environment. It is important for people to take a moment and absorb the beauty of the mountains, the trees, the shrubs and flowers, the animals.
- How to survive in the bush. While cooking food next to the warm fire, it is always a great time to discuss survival techniques while camping. Whether it be carrying a water filter, a knife, a fly fishing rod, or how to tie a great fishing line knot, these topics are always fun, and add to the sense of adventure in the mountains. It also promotes teamwork, which is necessary while camping.
- How to prepare food, how to prepare a caught fish. It is always good to know how to prepare a fish, you never know, you may catch one. Discussing how to prepare food and fish while camping is a great idea.
- Discuss politics, and life in general. Complain about your spouse (unless of course if this is a family trip, ha!). Complain about your broken-down car. Complain about that politician and discuss your proposed solution to America’s problems. And equally important, listen to others about theirs.
- Tell a great story. Tell a great story about that time you met the band at the concert you went to. Or that time as kids that you got chased by the police for pulling a prank on your neighbors.
No matter the topics, accept one another in each other’s natural state, as this is the closest you will get to living completely free. Of course, there are other ways to feel relaxation, yet true freedom will always rely on the characteristics of being born completely free of the modern world we all live in every day. Let your spirit walk freely and let your campmates walk freely too. Most importantly, have fun. Do things you normally would never consider doing!
Great Camping Products (By using these links, you are helping spread the message of liberty with a small contribution from Amazon to our site!)